Green Logistics in Freight Transportation: Problems, Possible Solutions
Boichenko M. V.
Doctor of Economic Sciences, professor
NTU “Dnipro Polytechnic” MES of Ukraine, Dnipro
Boichenko, M. V. (2021). Green Logistics in Freight Transportation: Problems, Possible Solutions. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 2 (41), рр. 152-155. DOI: https://doi.org/10.37405/1729-7206.2021.2(41).152-155.
The transportation is one of basic sources of negative impact on environment.
Main problems that restrain green logistics development in Ukraine are the following: environmental priorities depend on economic feasibility; the national system of environment protection has inefficient management; the observance of environment protection laws and environmental rights and duties of citizens is very poor; low compliance with environment protection laws and lack of strict accountability for their violation; absence of clear scheme of green logistics implementation in a company; there are no incentives for green logistics implementation; there is no direct cause to effect connection with delivery chain and environment etc.
Possible arrangements that may improve development of economic control and market tools for environment protection against negative impact of movable sources of pollution in Ukraine can be: setting fees for negative environmental impact considering costs necessary for environment protection activities; instead of charging fees for pollution in the excess of established limits charge for the reparation of environmental damage; introducing incentives for companies implementing environmental modernization programs for movable fleet; giving advantages to transport companies that (among other equal terms) comply with environmental standards; gradual implementing the system of environmental standards statement and environmental audit; raising environmental and social responsibility of business.
freight transportation, pollution, green logistics, problems, environment protection, mechanism.
- Mckinnon, A., Cullinane, S., Browne, M., Whiteing, A. (Eds.). (2010). Green Logistics: Improving the Environmental Sustainability of Logistics. London, Kogan Page. 385 p.
- Vykydy zabrudniuiuchykh rechovyn vid peresuvnykh dzherel zabrudnennia (2016-2020) [Emissions of pollutants from mobile sources of pollution (2016-2020)]. Retrieved from http://ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/menu/menu_u/ns.htm [in Ukrainian].
- Duan, (2016). Green logistic network design: intermodal transportation planning and vehicle routing problems. University of Louisville. 167 p.
- Pro Osnovni zasady (stratehiiu) derzhavnoi ekolohich-noi polityky Ukrainy na period do 2030 roku: Zakon Ukrainy vid 28.02.2019 r. № 2697-VIII [On the Basic Principles (Strategy) of the State Environmental Policy of Ukraine for the Period up to 2030: Law of Ukraine of February 28, 2019 № 2697-VIII]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2697-19#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Trushkina, N. V. (2019). Transformatsiia trans portno-lohistychnoi systemy v Ukraini na zasadakh zelenoi lohistyky [Transformation of the transport and logistics system in Ukraine on the basis of green logistics]. Ekonomichnyi visnyk Donbasu – Economic Herald of the Donbas, 2(56), рр. 151-161. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12958/1817-3772-2019-2(56)-151-161 [in Ukrainian].
- DHL GREEN SERVICES. Decrease emissions. Increase efficiency. Retrieved from http://www.dhl.ru/content/dam/downloads/g0/logistics/brochures/dhl_green_services_2015.pdf.
- Christof, Dr., Ehrhart, E. Delivering Tomorrow: Towards Sustainable Logistics. Retrieved from http://www.delivering-tomorrow.com.
Full Text (.pdf)