Institutional Features of Modernization of Higher Education in Ukraine
Doctor of Economic Sciences
Doctor of Economic Sciences
Phd in Economic Sciences
Cherkasy State Business College
Kuklin, O. V., Pustoviit, R. F., Dernova, I. A. (2021). Institutional Features of Modernization of Higher Education in Ukraine. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 1 (40), рр. 106-112. doi: https://doi.org/10.37405/1729-7206.2021.1(40).106-112
The process of institutionalization of higher education in Ukraine is studied in terms of factors due to the need for its modernization and taking into account formal and informal institutions and factors of the previous institutional trajectory of development. Emphasis is placed on determining the institutional causes of achievements and failures in the field of domestic higher education. An analysis of the target integrated function of assessing the quality of education and ways to modernize the educational process is offered.
It is emphasized that a significant number of initiated institutional reforms in the development of higher education in Ukraine have led to imperfect institutions and consequences when higher education does not meet current demands of the individual, society, economic needs and global trends.
Therefore, for the successful economic growth of Ukraine and ensuring its competitive and innovative prospects, the modernization of higher education must take place in direct connection with the transformation of the institutional environment. In turn, the quality of the institutional environment is determined by the efficiency of key institutions. However, we now have reasonable doubts as to whether Ukraine has the necessary institutional environment to modernize higher education that ensures sustainable economic growth and competitiveness. In essence, educational failures are the result of existing institutional disparities between formal and informal institutions. This is an obvious flaw of the government, which negatively affects the external effects of education in the country as a whole.
institutional economy, higher education, formal and informal institutions, education modernization.
- North, D. (1997). Instituty, institutsional’nyye izmeneniya i funktsionirovaniye ekonomiki [Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance]. Moscow, Fond economic book «Nachala» [in Russian].
- Coase, R. (2007). Firma, rynok i pravo: sb. statey [Firm, market and law: collection of articles]. Moscow, Novoe izdatelstvo [in Russian].
- Williamson, O. (1996). Ekonomicheskie instituty kapitalizma. Firmy, rynki, otnoshencheskaya kontraktacziya [Economic institutions of capitalism. Firms, markets, relational contracting]. Trans. from english. St. Petersburg, SEV Press [in Russian].
- Heiets, V. (2018). Instytutsiina obumovlenist endohenizatsii ekonomichnoho rozvytku [Institutional conditionality of endogenization of economic development]. Zhurnal yevropeiskoi ekonomiky – Journal of European Economics, 2, рр. 16–28 [in Ukrainian].
- Hrytsenko, A., Lipov, V. (2020). Informatsionnyye platformy kak setevaya institutsional’naya transformatsiya [Information platforms as a network institutional transformation]. Journal of Institutional Studies, 12 (2), рр. 132-148. doi: https://doi.org/10.17835/2076-6297.2020.12.2.132-148 [in Russian].
- Kezar, A., Sam, C. (2013). Institutionalizing Equitable Policies and Practices for Contingent Faculty. The Journal of Higher Education, Vol. 84, рр. 56–87. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/00221546.2013.11777278
- Maassen, P. (2008). The Modernization оf European Higher Education. In: Amaral, A., Bleiklie, I., Musselin, C. (Eds.). From Governance to Identity. Higher Education Dynamics. Dordrecht: Springer, Vol 24, рр. 95–112.
- Cai, Y., Mehari, Y. (2015). The use of institutional theory in higher education research. In Theory and Method
in Higher Education Research III, edited by Jeroen
Huisman and Malcolm Tight. Bingley: Emerald, рр. 1–25. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/S2056-375220150000001001
- Molokova, E. (2018). Teoreticheskiye podkhody k issledovaniyu institutsional’nykh lovushek vysshego obrazovaniya [Theoretical approaches to researching institutional traps in higher education]. Kreativnaya ekonomika – Creative economy, 12, рр. 2002–2015. doi: https://doi.org/10.18334/ce.12.12.39662 [in Russian].
- Hrishnova, O., Brintseva, O. (2018). Konkurentospromozhnist vyshchoi osvity i pratsivnykiv: yak stvoriuietsia fiktyvnyi liudskyi kapital? [Competitiveness of higher education and employees: how is fictitious human capital created?]. Rynok pratsi ta zainiatist naselennia – Labor market and employment, 1, рр. 15–20 [in Ukrainian].
- Verdenkhofa, O., Kaleniuk, I., Tsymbal, L. (2018). Parametry ta modeli avtonomii universytetiv [Parameters and models of university autonomy]. Mizhnarodna ekonomichna polityka – International economic policy, 1, рр. 109–127 [in Ukrainian].
- Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy. Zaklady vyshchoi osvity [State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Institutions of higher education]. (n.d.). ukrstat.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/ [in Ukrainian].
- Liashenko, O. (2012). Yakist osvity yak chynnyk rozvytku ukra-yinskoi shkoly [The quality of education as a factor in the development of the Ukrainian school]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats Umanskoho derzhavnoho pedahohichnoho universytetu – Collection of scientific works of Uman State Pedagogical University, 4, рр. 225–229 [in Ukrainian].
- Kuklin, O. (2010). Finansovi mekhanizmy funktsionuvannia vyshchoi osvity [Financial mechanisms of higher education functioning]. Formuvannia rynkovoi ekonomiky – Formation of a market economy, 24. рр. 362–369 [in Ukrainian].
- The Global Innovation Index 2020. Geneva: Cornell University, INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization. Retrieved from https://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/wipo_pub_gii_2020/ua.pdf
- Global Competitiveness Report Special Edition 2020: How Countries are Performing on the Road to Recovery. Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-global-competitiveness-report-2020
Full Text (.pdf)