Cities and the Policy of Territorial Cohesion in the EU
Doctor of Economic Sciences
Ternopol National Economic University
Lishchynskyy I. О. (2020). Cities and the policy of territorial cohesion in the EU. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 1 (38), рр. 46-51. doi: https://doi.org/10.37405/1729-7206.2020.1(38).46-51
The paper reveals the main instruments for ensuring the cooperative functioning of cities and surrounding regions in the context of territorial cohesion policy in the European Union. It was noted that the policy of territorial cohesion resonates primarily with the practical implementation of the concept of “functional urban areas”. Currently, such functional urban areas often transcend national borders, necessitating the implementation of cross-border administration. In addition, considerable attention is paid to the implementation of Integrated Sustainable Development Strategies, which began to be implemented at the pan-European level in the framework of Cohesion Policy for 2014-2020 as part of the overall transformation of political ideology and practice in favour of a place-based approach.
It was noted that the “EU Urban Agenda” was launched in 2016 with the aim of achieving “better regulation”, “better funding” and “better knowledge” by cities, as well as to reach the compliance with the UN Sustainable Development Goals till 2030, in particular in the direction of inclusiveness, security, reconstruction and sustainable urban development. At the same time, it was noted that the priorities, themes and interdisciplinary aspects of the EU Urban Agenda were developed taking into account the priorities of the EU 2020 Strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth.
urban development, territorial cohesion policy, place-based approach, functional urban areas, cross-border urban areas, Integrated Sustainable Development Strategies, regional policy, EU Urban Agenda.
Full Text .pdf
- Single European Act. 1986 URL: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=LEGISSUM%3Axy0027
- ESPON. Polycentric territorial structures and territorial cooperation. 2016. URL: https://www.espon.eu/topics-policy/publications/policy-briefs/polycentric-territorial-structures-and-territorial
- Medeiros E. Territorial Cohesion: the Urban Dimension. 2019. URL:
- The Urban Dimension of EU Policies – Key Features of an EU Urban Agenda. 2014. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/information/publications/communications/2014/the-urban-dimension-of-eu-policies-key-features-of-an-eu-urban-agenda
- Territorial Agenda of the European Union 2020. URL: https://books.google.com.ua/books?hl=uk&lr=&id=cXB_DwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR5&dq=implementation+of+eu+territorial+agenda&ots=xKQ7kPyX9d&sig=8HXxPPaNdHkAaGGamtv0qIar6k8&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=implementation%20of%20eu%20territorial%20agenda&f=false
- Günther S., Maes J., Raynal J., Thijssen M., Zulian G., European Commission, Joint Research Centre. Enhancing Resilience of Urban Ecosystems through Green Infrastructure (EnRoute): final report. 2019.
- Lundquist K.-J., Trippl M. Distance, Proximity and Types of Cross-Border Innovation Systems: a Conceptual Analysis. Regional Studies. 2013. Vol. 47, No. 3. P. 450–460.
- Sæther B., Andersen B. T., Hagen E. Cross-Border Functional Regions and Innovation: Cases from inner Scandinavian Regions. Territorial Cohesion. Springer, 2019. P. 91–109.
- The Urban Agenda for the EU. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/policy/themes/urban-development/agenda/
- Glinka K. Integrated Territorial Investment as Instrument for Managing Transport Security in Lower Silesia’s Largest Cities. Zeszyty Naukowe. Transport/ Politechnika Śląska, 2017.
- Kamrowska-Zaluska D., Obracht-Prondzynska H. Implementation of the Integrated Territorial Investments. Uncovering the Territorial Dimension of European Union Cohesion Policy. Routledge, 2017. P. 114–126.
- van der Zwet A., Bachtler J. New Implementation Mechanisms for Integrated Development Strategies in ESIF. Eur. Struct. Invest. Funds J. 2018. No 6 (1).
- Lishchynskyy І. Poles and axes of development in the context of glocalization processes: a monograph. Ternopil: ТNЕU, 2019. 364 p.
- van der Zwet A., Bachtler J., Ferry M., [et al.] Integrated Territorial and Urban Strategies-how are ESIF Adding Value in 2014-2020? 2017.
- European Commission. State of European Cities Report: Cities leading the way to a better future. 2016. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/newsroom/news/2016/10/20-10-2016-state-of-european-cities-report-cities-leading-the-way-to-a-better-future
- Nabielek K., Hamers D. A. F., Evers D. V. H. Cities in Europe: Facts and Figures on Cities and Urban Areas. PBL, 2016.
- European Commission. Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down common provisions on the European regional development fund. 2018. URL: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=COM%3A2018%3A375%3AFIN