Neo-Industrial Future of Ukraine: Expectations vs Obstacles
Institute of Industrial Economics of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
Prognymak O. D. (2020). Neo-industrial future of Ukraine: expectations vs obstacles. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 1 (38), рр. 16-26. doi: https://doi.org/10.37405/1729-7206.2020.1(38).16-26
The significant features of the process of neo-industrialization are studied in conjunction with the profound changes in the post-industrial society, which determine the specifics of this stage of industrial development. however, are currently absent in Ukraine. Neo-industrialization, as a component of the knowledge economy, is not limited only to the processes of post-industrial technological transformations by changing the sectoral structure of the eco- nomy and industrial restructuring. The analysis of factors that led to the emergence of completely new processes of organizational change in the post-industrial society, in which large-scale mass production and mass distribution of goods are no longer progressive methods, as a result, eco- nomies of scale are no longer a market advantage in a neoindustrial economy. At a higher stage of development, differentiated goods and services are becoming increasingly demanded. And this diversity of offers is harmonized by the diversity of demand and is a constant engine of the innovation process in developed economies, and highly-differentiated structure of industrial production is a factor and the result of this diversity. The problems of small business development, which is becoming an important component of the neo-industrial structure, without its effective functioning in the conditions of market segmentation and demand fragmentation are considered, are examined. Statistical data and indices that measure the level of technolo- gical readiness of the country’s economy (global competitiveness index, economic complexity index, etc.) are analyzed in detail. Based on the analysis, systemic problems are identified and the conclusion is made that the existing structure of the Ukrainian economy in any aspect (industry, resource, foreign trade) does not meet the modern requirements of the country’s neo-industrial development.
neo-industrialization, competitiveness, post-industrial business environment, demassification of production and consumption, economic complexity index, small business.
- Vorob’yev Ye.M., Ryabchenko K.N. (2017). Neoindustrializatsiya kak osoznannaya neobkhodimost’ [Neo-industrialization as a conscious need]. Ekonomika ta upravlinnia natsionalnym hospodarstvom — Economics and management of the national economy, Issue 6 (11) [in Russian].
- Yeshchienko P., Arseienko A. (2012). Vidnovlennia sotsialno-ekonomichnoho rozvytku — priorytet nomer odyn u sviti ta v Ukraini [Restoration of socio-economic development is the number one priority in the world and in Ukraine]. Ekonomika Ukrainy — Economy of Ukraine, 1, рр. 36—50 [in Ukrainian].
- Yeshchenko P.S. (2017). Ukrainskaya «velikaya depressiya» i kak iz neye vyyti [Ukrainian “great depression” and how to get out of it]. Kyiv, Faker [in Russian].
- Vyshnevskyi V.P., Viietska O.V., Viietskyi O.A. et al. (2019). Smart-promyslovist: napriamy stanovlennia, problemy i rishennia [Smart-industry: directions of formation, problems and solutions]. (Electronic edition). Kyiv, IIE of NAS of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Vyshnevskyi V.P., Polovian O.V., Zbarazska L.O., Zanizdra M.Yu., Chekina V.D. et al. (2016). Natsionalna model neoindustrialnoho rozvytku Ukrainy [National model of neo-industrial development of Ukraine]. Kyiv, IIE of NAS of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Lyashenko V.I., Chervova L.G., Kuz’menko L.M. et al. (2013). Strukturnyye transformatsii staropromyshlennykh regionov Ukrainy [Structural transformations of the old industrial regions of Ukraine]. Donetsk, IIE of NAS of Ukraine [in Russian].
- Liashenko V.I., Kotov Ye. V. (2015). Metodychni pidkhody do otsiniuvannia protsesiv modernizatsii promyslovo rozvynutykh terytorii Ukrainy [Methodical approaches to the assessment of modernization processes of industrialized territories of Ukraine]. Ekonomika Ukrainy — Economy of Ukraine, 10, рр. 32-44 [in Ukrainian].
- Kotov Ye.V., Lyashenko V.I. (2014). 3-D pechat’ kak revolyutsionnaya tekhnologiya neoindustrial’noy modernizatsii ekonomiki [3-D printing as a revolutionarytechnology of neo-industrial economic modernization]. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 1, рр. 59-70 [in Russian].
- Shovkun I.A. (2016). Neoindustrializatsiya v Ukraine: yest’ li makroekonomicheskiye predposylki i investitsionnyy potentsial [Neo-industrialization in Ukraine: are there macroeconomic prerequisites and investment potential?]. Ekonomika i prohnozuvannia — Economics and forecasting, 4, рр. 48-69 [in Russian].
- Perez K. (2011). Technological revolutions and financial capital. The dynamics of bubbles and periods of prosperity. Тrans. from English. Moscow, Publishing House “Case” ANH [in Russian].
- Kindzersky Yu. (2012). Problems of industrial development and the failure of industrial policy in Ukraine. Society and Economics, 12, рр. 80 – 100 [in Russian].
- Global Innovation Index (GII). (2019). WIPO. Retrieved from www.wipo.int/global_innovation_index.
- Global Competitiveness Index (GCI). (20152018). Retrieved from http://reports.weforum.org/globalcompetitiveness-report-2015-2018/competitiveness-rankings/#indicatorId=GCI
- Global Competitiveness Index (GCI). (2019). Retrieved from http://reports.weforum.org/global-competitiveness-report-2019/competitiveness-rankings/#indicatorId=GCI
- Statistical Yearbook of Ukraine for 2018. (р. 73). Kyiv, State Statistics Service of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Blandinier J.P. (2005). Re-industrialization of Russia: how suitable is the European experience. Economist, 5, рр. 35-45 [in Russian].
- Domansky R. (2010). Economic geography: dynamic aspect. Тrans. from Polish. Moscow, The New Chronograph [in Russian].
- Collection of business statistics in Ukraine. (2018). Retrieved from www.oecd.org/globalrelations/eurasia.htm [in Ukrainian].
- Toffler E. (1999). The Third Wave. Moscow, LLC “Firm” Publishing House ACT” [in Russian].
- Tambovtsev V.L. (2020). Narrativnyy analiz v ekonomicheskoy teorii kak voskhozhdeniye k slozhnosti [Narrative analysis in economic theory as an ascent to complexity]. Voprosy ekonomiki — Economic issues, 4, рр. 5-30. https://doi.org/10.32609/0042-8736-2020-4-530 [in Russian].
- Morin E. (1992). From the concept of system to the paradigm of complexity. Journal of Social and Evolutionary Systems, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 371-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/1061-7361(92)90024-8/
- Economic Complexity Index (ECI). Retrieved from https://oec.world/ru/rankings/country/eci/?year_range=2013-2017
- Hidalgo C. A., Hausmann R. (2009). The building blocks of economic complexity / Ceґ sar A. Hidalgo1 and Ricardo Hausmann. PNAS, Vol. 106, No. 24, pp. 10570-10575. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0900943106/
- Economics of knowledge in the European Union (2014). All-Russian Institute of Scientific and Technical Information RAS, рр. 3-12 [in Russian].
- Petrov A.N., Karpova G.A., Khoreva L.V. (2012). Conceptualization of approaches to the formation of a holistic theory of services. News of St. Petersburg University of Economics, 3 [in Russian].
- National Economy of the Ukrainian USSR in 1985 (1986). Stat. Yearbook of the Central Statistical Bureau of the Ukrainian SSR. Kyiv, Tekhnika [in Russian].
- Labor of Ukraine in 2015 (2016). Statistical collection. State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Kyiv, Consultant Publishing House LLC [in Ukrainian].
- Tarasova N. V., Klymenko L. P., Yemelianov V. M. (2011). Promyslovist Ukrainy: tendentsii, problemy, perspektyvy [Industry of Ukraine: tendencies, problems, prospects]. Mykolaiv, Publishing House Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University [in Ukrainian].
Full Text .pdf