Innovation Ecosystem of Pridneprovsky Economic Region: Actors, their Quality and Completeness
PHD in Economic Sciences
Institute of Industrial Economics of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
Pidorycheva I. Yu. (2020). Innovation ecosystem of Pridneprovsky economic region: actors, their quality and completeness. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 1 (38), рр. 116-130. doi: https://doi.org/10.37405/1729-7206.2020.1(38).116-130
In recent years, interest in the concept of innovation ecosystem has increased significantly in the scientific community: formation processes of innovation ecosystems are exploring at different levels – from virtual to global. This study is devoted to the issues of innovation ecosystems formation at the regional level as the most favorable for innovations.
There is no unanimity among scientists as to whether what structural elements and relationships are essential in innovation ecosystems, and what their composition should be. Traditionally, ecosystem actors are divided into Triple Helix or Quadruple Helix models by focusing on institutional sectors, rather than on the functions and roles of actors. To expand the range of innovation ecosystem actors (structural element) and combine them into six sectors, according to the functions and roles performed has been proposed, namely: entrepreneurial, government, scientificeducational, financial support, infrastructural support, public associations.
Under this approach, the state of the regional innovation ecosystems across all sector actors in the Pridneprovsky economic region has been analyzed in order to determine their completeness and quality to ensure the integrity and efficiency of ecosystems. Based on the analysis, it has been revealed that the most developed sector actors are entrepreneurial and scientific-educational, with adjustments for their uneven diffusion across the regions, structural imbalance of the industrial complex and the gradual depletion of the human resources of the scientific sphere. It has been predicted these bottlenecks do not reduce the internal reserves of the regions in order to increase the innovativeness and competitiveness of the regional economy. In doing so, such a promising opportunity depends largely on actors in the public sector, financial support sector, and infrastructure support sector. While they are the most critical in terms of both quantity and quality of actors.
Emphasis has been given on the exceptional role of the government in innovation ecosystems development, which should consist in creating (promoting the creation) of absent actors, improving the quality of existing and establishing conditions (macroeconomic, institutional, technological) that will support each component of the ecosystems, stimulating their mutual strengthening and cooperation. It has been emphasized that the Ukrainian state needs to develop inclusive institutions, implementing the format of inclusive innovation policy, changing the culture of relations between the government and the public, laying in their basis the principles of openness, trust, and partnership.
innovation ecosystem, ecosystem actors, region, inclusive institutions, inclusive innovation policy.
- Adner, R. (2017). Ecosystem as structure. An actionable construct for strategy. Journal of Management, Vol. 43 (1), рр. 39-58.
- Gloor, P.A. (2006). Swarm Creativity: Competitive Advantage through Collaborative Innovation Networks. New York, Oxford University Press.
- Rabelo, R., Bernus, P., & Romero, D. (2015). Innovation Ecosystems: A Collaborative Networks Perspective. 16th Working Conference on Virtual Enterprises (PROVE), Albi, France. Р. 323-336. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-24141-8_29
- Cooke, P., Uranga, M.G., Etxebarria, G. (1998). Regional Systems of Innovation: An Evolutionary Perspective. Environment and Planning, Vol. 30, рр. 1563-1584.
- Asheim, Bjorn T., Gertler, Meric S. (2005). The geography of innovation: regional innovation systems. In: Fagerberg, Jan, Mowery, David, Nelson, Richard (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Innovation. Oxford University Press, Oxford. Р. 291-317.
- Kravchenko, S. (2019). Simulation of the national innovation systems development: a transnational and coevolution approach. Virtual Economics, Vol. 2, No 3, рр. 41-54. https://doi.org/10.34021/ve.2019.02.03(4)
- Ivanov, S.V., Lyashenko, V.I., Pidorycheva, I.Yu. (Eds). (2018). Ukraine in the European science-educational and innovative spaces: the concept of adaptation and integration in the context of the Association agreement between the EU and Ukraine. Kyiv, Institute of Industrial Economy of NAS of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Cooke, P. (1992). Regional innovation systems: competitive regulation in the new Europe. Geoforum, Vol. 23, рр. 365-382.
- Cooke, P. (2001). Strategies for regional innovation systems: learning transfer and applications. Centre for advanced Studies Cardiff University (Prepared for UNIDO World Industrial Development Report).
- Doloreux, D., Parto, S. (2003). Regional Innovation Systems: A Critical Review. International Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 7.
- Oinas, P., Malecki, E. J. (1999). Spatial innovation systems. Making connections: Technological learning and regional economic change. E. J. Malecki and P. Oinas (Eds.). Aldershot, UK: Ashgate. Р. 7-33.
- Davymuka, S. A., Fedulova, L. I. (2016). Regional innovation ecosystems: development directions in the context of European integration. Lviv, State Institution “Institute of Regional Research named after M. І. Dolishniy of NAS of Ukraine” [in Ukrainian].
- Soloviev, V.P. (2017). Innovation theory: cooperation between science, government and business. Science and Science of Science, Vol. 3, рр. 23-33 [in Russian].
- Yegorov, I.Yu. (2018). The formation of national R&D and innovation policy based on «triple helix» (government–science–industry) extended model (brief information about the project). Sci. innov., Vol. 14 (1), рр. 76-79. https://doi.org/10.15407/scin14.01.086 [in Ukrainian].
- Khymenko, О. (2020). The principles and the ways to improve the state policy on activating the national innovation system development in Ukraine. Efektyvna ekonomika. [Online]. Vol. 3. Retrieved from http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=7732. https://doi.org/10.32702/2307-2105-2020.3.70 [in Ukrainian].
- Alymov, O.M., Amosha, O.I., Liashenko, V.I. (Eds). (2014). The first stage of modernization of the Ukrainian economy: experience and problems. Zaporizhia, Classic Private University [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2019a). Gross regional product in 2017. Statistical book [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2020). Number of enterprises by size and regions in 2018. Retrieved from https://ukrstat.org/uk/operativ/operativ2013/fin/kp_reg/kp_reg_u/kp_reg_u_2018.htm [in Ukrainian].
- Statistical Department of Statistics in the Dnipropetrovsk region. (2020). Number of enterprises by type of economic activity divided by large, medium, small and micro enterprises in 2018. Retrieved from http://www.dneprstat.gov.ua/statinfo%202015/rpid/ [in Ukrainian].
- Statistical Department of Statistics in the Zaporizhia region. (2020). Number of enterprises by type of economic activity divided by large, medium, small and micro enterprises in 2018. Retrieved from http://www.zp.ukrstat.gov.ua/index.php/statystychna-informatsiia#2.2.1 [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2019b). Scientific and innovative activity in Ukraine in 2018. Statistical Yearbook [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2018a). Scientific and innovative activity in Ukraine in 2017. Statistical Yearbook [in Ukrainian].
- Startup Ranking. Countries. Retrieved from https://www.startupranking.com/countries
- AVentures DealBook 2020. Retrieved from https://www.slideshare.net/YevgenSysoyev/aventures-dealbook-2020-229990810?fbclid=IwAR00iEpVzPkBTamnIagFaOq5G2XowdfViGGunqbeG0IOVrtXwTor30Ql_jM
- Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine. (2018a). The Ministry of Education and Science will create an innovative environment in educational and scientific institutions, and the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade – the conditions for the invention commercialization – a protocol was signed on a new distribution of powers. Retrieved from https://mon.gov.ua/ua/news/mon-stvoryuvatime-innovacijne-seredovishe-v-osvitnih-i-naukovih-zakladah-mert-umovi-dlya-komercializaciyi-vinahodiv-pidpisano-protokol-pro-novij-rozpodil-povnovazhen [in Ukrainian].
- Acemoglu, D., Robinson, J. A. (2014). Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty. Retrieved from https://history.wikireading.ru/416046 [in Russian].
- Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine. (2018b). Working Schedule. Retrieved from https://mon.gov.ua/ua/ministerstvo/diyalnist/plan-roboti [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2018b). Higher education in Ukraine in 2017. Statistical book [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2018c). General educational and vocational educational institutions. Statistical book [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2018d). Preschool education in Ukraine in 2017 Ukraine. Statistical book [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2017). Scientific and innovative activity in Ukraine in 2016. Statistical Yearbook [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2013). Scientific and innovative activity in Ukraine in 2012. Statistical Yearbook [in Ukrainian].
- Pidorycheva, I.Yu., Liashenko, V.I. (2019). Startups in Ukraine: how to overcome the “valley of death”. Mirror weekly. Vol. 39. October 19-25. Retrieved from https://dt.ua/macrolevel/startapi-v-ukrayini-yak-zdolati-dolinu-smerti-326705_.html
- Vyshnevskyi, V.P., Yehorov, I.Iu., Liashenko, V.I., Antoniuk, V.P., Kniaziev, S.I., Pidorycheva, I.Yu., Kovchuha, L.I. (2018). To the question of the Strategy of innovation development of Ukraine or what should be the Strategy of innovation development of Ukraine. Bulletin of Economic Science of Ukraine, Vol. 2, рр. 183-198 [in Ukrainian].
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. (2019). On amendments in the list of aircraft industry entities in respect of which temporary state support measures are introduced of 24.04.2019 № 349. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/349-2019-%D0%BF [in Ukrainian].
- The reforms guide. (2017). Tax reform. The purpose of tax reform. Retrieved from http://reformsguide.org.ua/ua/reforms/tax-reform/ [in Ukrainian].
- National Bank of Ukraine. (2020). Discount rate of the National Bank of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://bank.gov.ua/monetary/stages/archive-rish/ [in Ukrainian].
- European Central Bank. (2020). Monetary policy decisions. March 12. Retrieved from https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2020/html/ecb.mp200312~8d3aec3ff2.en.html
- Federal Reserve System. (2020). Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement. March 15. Retrieved from https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20200315a.htm
- European Innovation Scoreboard. (2019). Relationship between 2.1 Finance and Support and 2.1.2 Venture capital. Interactive tool. Retrieved from https://interactivetool.eu/EIS/EIS_2.html#f
- Ukrainian Association of Investment Business. (2019a). Analytical Review of the Asset Management Market in Ukraine in Q2 2019. General Results. Retrieved from https://www.uaib.com.ua/analituaib/publ-ici-quart/278470 [in Ukrainian].
- Ukrainian Association of Investment Business. (2019b). Analytical Review of the Asset Management Market in Ukraine in Q3 2019. Joint Investment Institutions. Retrieved from https://www.uaib.com.ua/analituaib/publ-ici-quart/3-y-kvartal-2019-roku-instituti-spilnogo-investuvannya [in Ukrainian].
- Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine. (2020). Industrial parks in Ukraine. Retrieved from https://www.me.gov.ua/Documents/List?lang=uk-UA&id=6463d3ba-aa13-4e54-8db9-0f36642c43d9&tag=IndustrialniParkiVUkraini [in Ukrainian].
- European Commission. (2016). Smart Guide to Cluster Policy. How to support SME Policy from Structural Funds. General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs Directorate.
- European Commission. (2020). European observatory for clusters and industrial change. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/growth/industry/policy/cluster/observatory_en
- Association of Industrial Automation of Ukraine. (2020). IAM cluster “Engineering. Automation. Engineering”. Retrieved from mautic.appau.org.ua [in Ukrainian].
- Miśkiewicz, R. (2019). Challenges facing management practice in the light of Industry 4.0: The example of Poland. Virtual Economics, Vol. 2, No 2, рр. 37-47. https://doi.org/10.34021/ve.2019.02.02(2)
- Vodolazskaya, N. (2019). Types and ways of modernization in a context of the international experience. Virtual Economics, Vol. 2, No. 1, рр. 82-94. https://doi.org/10.34021/ve.2019.02.01(5)
- Public space. (2020). Map of organizations of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://www.prostir.ua/category/ngo/ [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2019c). Statistical Yearbook of Ukraine for 2018 [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2018e). Activities of NGOs in Ukraine in 2017. Statistical Yearbook [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistic Service of Ukraine. (2018f). Statistical Yearbook of Ukraine for 2017 [in Ukrainian].
Full Text .pdf