Prospects for the Existence of a Cashless Society and the Role of Cash in the Global Financial System
Phd in Economic Sciences, Corresponding Member of the Academy of Economic Sciences of Ukraine
Drohobych City Institute
Zadvornykh S. S. (2019). prospects for the existence of a cashless society and the role of cash in the global financial system. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 2 (37), рр. 27-37. doi: https://doi.org/10.37405/1729-7206.2019.2(37).27-37
Modern society is determined not only with a high level of development, but also a lot of social and economic problems. In the last years more and more popular became the meaning, that a lot of these problems could be solved with the canceling of cash. Experts and usual people are thinking that a new society will be more fair and transparent with less of criminal, drugs, economic fraud, unmotivated preference for individual categories, where everybody is paying less of tax and where is a high level of wealth protection. But in the real situation seems not so optimistic.
In Life privacy. Canceling of cash mean total control against all financial operations of each person, their interests and tastes by banks and government. Besides that, using most mobile payment systems need geolocation – as result everybody will be all the time trecked in all senses of this word. In psychological sphere using electronic money will increase money spendings because using cash is combined with the feeling of pain, when people are spending them and e-money are for most of people something not so important, especially for young people (like money in PC game). In social shpere the cashless society will make problems for disabled people, people with mental problems and also can influence dementia by older people. Criminal. even if we will live in the cashless society with the modern trends, the level of financial fraud will reduce maximal on 15%, and P. Schmidt considered, that all the criminals will find another way for their activity. Besides that e-money and society are stimulating the growth of cybercrime and it is always growing and the companies, who had lost against cybercrime had spent more money for investigation of that cases, then they have lost. Unemployment. First of all, the system of cash circulation is huge. A lot of people are creation, designing, proofing, printing, gathering, retailing cash and also working each day in banks, cashier’s offices, shops and so on. Also many companies are producing stuff combined with cash. From wallets to cash machines. All these brunches will not exist anymore and all the people will lose their jobs. Economy. One of the main reasons to cancel cash was that in the cashless society will be impossible to set a negative rate and with the same it will be less of economic crises. But german economists have studied and proofed that it is possible and in this situation it will be more difficult to combat the crisis and cost much more for the government and people because all existing financial instruments that the government can use to fix situation are created only for cash and are working with it.
Technical. Electronic systems could be crushed. Besides of that in case of wore or other conflicts people can ruin Internet connection all over the country and inhabitants will lose everything and have no possibility even get home.
In general, e-payments are part of our life and they are very comfortable nowadays. But the canceling of cash will make more problems for people and organizations. This means that this could not be the right choice in the nearest future.
financial system; cash; payment systems; cybercrime; banks; sociology; taxes; offshore zones.
- Politeka Zelenskyi zaiavyv pro skasuvannia hotivky v Ukraini: “Pidemo vid kesha” [Zelenskyi declared cash withdrawal in Ukraine: “Let’s get out of cash”]. (2019). Politeka.net. Retrieved from https://politeka.net/news/politics/962681-zelenskij-zajavil-ob-otmene-nalichnyhdeneg-v-ukraine-ujdem-ot-kjesha/ (in Ukrainian).
- What Would Happen Without Cash? (n.d.). Gocashless.org.uk. Retrieved from http://www.gocashless.org.uk/what-would-happen-without-cash2.
- Does a cashless society benefit everyone? (2018). Bbc.com. Retrieved from www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180427-does-a-cashless-society-benefit-everyone.
- Access to cash review. Financial report (2019). Accesstocash.org.uk. Retrieved from www.accesstocash.org.uk/media/1087/final-report-final-web.pdf.
- Mahler M., Mierzwa S. (2018). Kreditkarten betдuben den Schmerz. Journalistenschule-ifp.de. Retrieved from https://geld.journalistenschule-ifp.de/kreditkarten-betaeuben-den-schmerz.
- Norling D. (2017). Money Is Not About Finances, It’s About Emotions. Huffpost.com. Retrieved from https://www.huffpost.com/entry/money-is-not-about-financ_b_7579746?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS51YS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALCQo5RPhCL-3Ea-7zualfme9IZw8KUSp2riYpFNarvZ3xHsWHLApxg2Z7xQOYi4-_18-YdHJqQ7tU8dSKX_Trs8VcesObb-EFsWdFgetoVAmzv7zaRpAeLSYXqBaT1oFuuhDzR0mQWDOr232Br6Yf8Tpe39ycGzf9cNq7JKVcGG.
- Central bank warns again about cash-free society dangers (2018.). Dutchnews.nl. Retrieved from https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/10/central-bank-warnsagain-about-cash-free-society-dangers.
- Peachey K. (2018). Millions ‘will suffer without cash’. Bbc.com. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46596154.
- Ekonomen analysieren Warum die Welt ohne Bargeld nicht funktioniert (2010). Handelsblatt.com. Retrieved from https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/konjunktur/oekonomie/nachrichten/oekonomen-analysieren-warum-die-welt-ohne-bargeld-nicht-funktioniert-seite-2/3752086-2.html?ticket=ST-28646411-S03Dzr34nxIpqaUGHAZ9-ap6.
- Revealing the true cost of financial crime. What’s hiding in the shadows? (2019). Refinitiv. Retrieved from https://www.refinitiv.com/content/dam/marketing/en_us/documents/reports/true-cost-of-financial-crime-globalfocus.pdf.
- Report: Offshore sell games 2016 (2016). U.S. PIRG. Retrieved from https://uspirg.org/reports/usp/offshore-shell-games-2016.
- Rapoza K. Tax Haven Cash Rising, Now Equal To At Least 10% Of World GDP (2017). Forbes.com. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2017/09/15/tax-haven-cash-rising-now-equal-to-at-least-10-of-world-gdp/#4495c78170d6.
- Dautovic G. 15 Must-Know Outsourcing Statis tics for 2019 (2019). Fortunly.com. Retrieved from https://fortunly.com/statistics/outsourcing-statistics.
- Pulling fraud out of the shadows Global Economic Crime and Fraud Survey 2018 (2018). PWC. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/forensics/global-economic-crime-and-fraud-survey-2018.pdf.
- 2019 cyberthreat defense report (2019). Ceberedge group. Retrieved from https://www.imperva.com/resources/reports/CyberEdge-2019-CDR-Report-v1.1.pdf.
- AT-A-Glance Ninth annual cost of cybercrime study (2019). Accenturesecurity. Retrieved from https://www.accenture.com/_acnmedia/pdf-99/accenture-costcyber-crime-infographic.pdf#zoom=50.
- Zadvornykh S.S. (2017). Finanzielle Politik des Staates im Kontext der Wirtschaftsdeschattung der Ukraine. Nьrnberg, Verlag SWG imex GmbH.
- Basel AML Index (n.d.). Basel institute on governance. Retrieved from https://www.baselgovernance.org/basel-aml-index.
- Ageing and health (2018). World health organization. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/newsroom/fact-sheets/detail/ageing-and-health.
- Population ages 0-14 (% of total population) (2019). The World bank. Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.0014.TO.ZS.
- Unemployment, total (% of total labor force) (national estimate) (2019). The World bank. Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SL.UEM.TOTL.NE.ZS.
- Commercial bank branches (per 100,000 adults) (2019). The World bank. Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FB.CBK.BRCH.P5.
- Population ages 15-64 (% of total population) (2019). The World bank. Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.1564.TO.ZS.
- Otdeleniia bankov v Ukraine sokrashaiutsia [Bank branches in Ukraine are reduced]. (2019). Finance.ua. Retrieved from https://news.finance.ua/ru/news/-/441816/otdeleniya-bankov-v-ukraine-sokrashhayutsya [in Russian].
- Casjens N. (2019). Leben ohne Bargeld in Schweden. Einfach bezahlen per App – sogar in der Kirche. Zdf.de. Retrieved from https://www.zdf.de/verbraucher/wiso/bargeldlos-bezahlen-in-schweden-normaler-alltag-100.html.
- Cash makes the world go around (2018). Estacash.eu. Retrieved from https://www.esta-cash.eu/wpcontent/uploads/2018/05/30d936f46bbb2ee71528b53734025c43812638dc-5b03174064ce4-04.-Paul-van-der-Knapp.pdf.
- Gerhard Rцsl G., Seitz F., Tцdter K.-H. (2017). Die Hochschule im Dialog: Besser ohne Bargeld? Gesamtwirtschaftliche Wohlfahrtsverluste der Bargeldab schaffung. Ostbayerische Technische Hochschule AmbergWeiden. Retrieved from https://www.oth-aw.de/files/othaw/Professoren/Seitz/OTH_DP58_Besser_ohne_Bargeld.pdf.
- Pidhajna E. (2017). Kvytok u mynule: chomu Ukraina mozhe zalyshytysia bez dostupu v internet [Ticket into the past: why can Ukraine be left without access to the Internet]. Mind. Retrieved from https://mind.ua/publications/20178773-kvitok-u-minule-chomu-ukrayinamozhe-zalishitisya-bez-dostupu-v-internet [in Ukrainian].
- Poppe M. (2015). Schweden ohne Bargeld „Leute bewahren ihr Geld in der Mikrowelle auf“. Focus.de. Retrieved from https://www.focus.de/finanzen/banken/schweden-verstecken-ihr-geld-in-der-mikrowelle-leute-bewahren-ihr-geld-in-der-mikrowelle-auf_id_5059087.html.
- Murphy D. (2019). M. Philly City Council votes to ban cashless stores. Whyy.org. Retrieved from https://whyy.org/articles/fate-of-cashless-philly-storeshangs-on-city-council-vote.
- Reinhard M. (2019). Kommentar: Ohne Bargeld ist die Freiheit der Bьrger ernsthaft gefдhrdet. Mainpost.de. Retrieved from https://www.mainpost.de/ueberregional/meinung/leitartikel/Kommentar-Ohne-Bargeld-ist-dieFreiheit-der-Buerger-ernsthaft-gefaehrdet;art9517,10304453.
Full Text (.pdf)