Activities of Tourist Information Centers: World Experience and Domestic Practice
Phd in Economic Sciences, Academician of the Academy of Economic Sciences of Ukraine
National University “Zaporizhzhya Polytechnic”
National University “Zaporizhzhya Polytechnic”
Shelemetieva T. V., Bulatov S. V. (2019). Activities of tourist information centers: world experience and domestic practice. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 2 (37), рр. 205-211. doi: https://doi.org/10.37405/1729-7206.2019.2(37).205-211
The article substantiates the need to create tourist information centers in Ukraine as one of the important tools of information support for the development of modern tourism and the promotion of a national tourism product. The success of the tourism industry in Ukraine in the context of the formation of a global information space is largely determined by the effectiveness of information support for the tourism sector. It is noted that an important task of the policy of local authorities in tourism management is to improve the information support of this process, since without advertising and information that attracts consumers of certain services, the development of tourist and recreational activities is impossible. The activity of the TIC is extremely important for destinations with a significant share of independent tourists, because, in this case, they are the main centers for the provision of information services. The essence of the concept of “tourist information center” is revealed and its main tasks are defined. It was noted that the tourist information center is an important tool of the tourist infrastructure, with the help of which tourists and other tourism entities have the opportunity to receive complete tourist information and advisory services on tourism activities in the area and beyond. The TIC can provide information support to the system of state regulation and tourism management in the region, since it is necessary to constantly update the regulatory and informational and analytical framework that provides effective management of the development of tourism and resorts. The following goals of creating tourist information centers in Ukraine are proposed: promoting the development of domestic tourism; providing information to local and foreign tourists and tourist organizations; promoting cooperation between tourism organizations of the city; conducting trainings and seminars for specialists in the field of tourism; development of tourist opportunities of the city; attracting more tourists to the area; improving the competitive advantages of the area by improving the tourism infrastructure; replenishment of the local budget due to taxation of tourism business entities; rational use of tourist and recreational resources of the area; attracting investment in the tourism business; creating a positive international image and popularizing tourist areas. The world experience of organizational and economic aspects of the activity of tourist information centers is investigated. In the developed tourist countries of the world, an extensive modern network of tourist infrastructure institutions, which includes information centers, is successfully operating. Such establishments allow tourists to receive the necessary tourist information and advisory services on tourist destinations. In the USA, each state has its own tourist information centers. The “Hospitality Center” is a recreation area, including a center for visitors, they are funded by local taxes included in each bed. In South America, the most active tourist information centers operate in Peru. Free centers provide tourist information and assistance for domestic and foreign tourists. Information includes monuments and recommended itineraries. In Australia, most visitor centers are run by local or state authorities, and in some cases by the Tourism Operators Association on behalf of the government. These information centers provide services such as housing selection and booking tours (automobile, air, bus, rail). They are the first link in acquaintance of a visitor with a city or region. The practice of the work of tourist information centers in Ukraine is considered and a list of them is compiled. It is noted that today tourist information centers have been created in most regions of Ukraine and in small cities of the Western region of Ukraine.
tourist information center, world experience, domestic practice, creation goals, objectives, activity results.
- Konishcheva N. Y., Rud D. V. (2005) Propozytsii shchodo stvorennia miskykh informatsiinykh turystychnykh tsentriv [Proposals for the creation of urban information tourist centers]. Naukovi i praktychni problemy stvorennia i funktsionuvannia turystychnykh tsentriv i tematychnykh parkiv: materialy V Mizhnar. nauk.-prakt. konf., pp. 148–151 [in Ukrainian].
- Kucherenko V. (2010) Osoblyvosti ta suchasni tendentsii upravlinnia turystychnoiu sferoiu [Features and current trends in tourism management]. Naukovyi visnyk Instytutu mizhnarodnykh vidnosyn NAU. Seriia: ekonomika, pravo, politolohiia, turyzm, 1, рр. 197–205 [in Ukrainian].
- Pro turystychni resursy: Proekt zakonu Ukrainy [On Tourism Resources: Draft Law of Ukraine]. Retrieved from http:// www.tourism.gov.ua [in Ukrainian].
- Pro skhvalennia Stratehii rozvytku turyzmu i kurortiv: Rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy [On approval of Tourism and Resorts Development Strategy: Executive Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine] Retrieved from http://www.zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1088–2008-р ( [in Ukrainian].
- Ofitsiinyi sait Vsesvitnoi turystychnoi orhanizatsii (UNWTO World Tourism Organization) [Official site of the UNWTO World Tourism Organization] Retrieved from http://www.world-tourism.org [in Ukrainian].
- O turisticheskoy deyatel’nosti: Model’nyy Zakon, utverzhden Postanovleniem Mezhparlamentskoy Assamblei gosudarstv-uchastnikov SNG № 27–15 ot 16 noyabrya 2006 goda. [On Tourism Activities: Model Law, approved by the Decree of the Inter-Parliamentary Assembly of the CIS Member States No. 27-15 of November 16, 2006.] [in Russian].
- Semichastnyy I. L. (2010) Obosnovanie struktury turistskogo informatsionnogo tsentra goroda Donetska, kontseptsii sozdaniya i osnovnykh napravleniy ego deyatel’nosti kak obyazatel’nogo elementa upravleniya informatsionnoy podderzhkoy «Evro-2012» v Ukraine [Justification of the structure of the tourist information center of the city of Donetsk, the concept of creation and the main directions of its activity as a mandatory element of the management of information support of Euro 2012 in Ukraine]. DITB Newsletter: Sat. scientific tr. Donetsk: Donetsk Institute of Tourism Business Retrieved from www.stattionline.org.ua. [in Ukrainian].
- Muzychenko-Kozlovska O. V. (2013) Turystychno-informatsiinyi tsentr yak element innovatsiinoi infrastruktury turyzmu [Tourist information center as an element of innovative tourism infrastructure]. Bulletin of Lviv Polytechnic National University. Problems of economy and management, 754, pp. 47–52. [in Ukrainian].
- Liubitseva O. O. (2005) Rynok turystychnykh posluh (heoprostorovi aspekty) [Tourist services market (geospatial aspects)]. Kyiv: Alterpres [in Ukrainian].
- Eksperty nazvaly mista, yaki staly turystychnymy lideramy Ukrainy [Experts have named the cities that have become Ukraine’s tourism leaders] Retrieved from https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-tourism/2610679-eksperti-nazvali-mista-aki-stali-turisticnimi-liderami-ukraini.html [in Ukrainian].
- Volchetskyi R. V. (2012) Rol turystychnykh informatsiinykh tsentriv u suchasnii industrii turyzmu [The role of tourist information centers in the modern tourism industry]. Scientific works. Governance, 182, 194, pp. 126–128 [in Ukrainian].
- Stvorennia ta diialnist turystychnykh informatsiinykh tsentriv v Ukraini (2006) [Creation and operation of tourist information centers in Ukraine]: prakt. posibnyk, Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Sokol T. H. (2004) Osnovy turystychnoi diialnosti [Basics of tourist activity]. Kyiv, Hramota [in Ukrainian].
- Volf R. (2006) Stvorennia ta diialnist turystychnykh informatsiinykh tsentriv v Ukraini [Creation and operation of tourist information centers in Ukraine]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Turystychno-informatsiini tsentry Ukrainy [Tourist information centers of Ukraine] Retrieved
from http://www.touristinfo.sitegist.net/ru/about/TIC_Ukraine/ [in Ukrainian].
- Torpoi Y. Yak stvoryty uspishnu merezhu TITsIv i yak finansuvaty yikhniu diialnist: Zakarpatskyi dosvid [How to create a successful network of TICs and how to finance their activities: Transcarpathian experience] Retrieved from http://www.linc.com.ua/documents/storage/Zakarpattya_TICs.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Chaika-Petehyrych L. B. Turystychno-informatsiinyi tsentr yak efektyvnyi instrument rozvytku turyzmu malykh mist [Tourist information center as an effective tool for development of tourism in small cities] Retrieved from http://economy-andsociety.in.ua/journal/12_ukr/72.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Statut komunalnoho pidpryiemstva «Turystychno-informatsii¬nyi tsentr» Zaporizkoi miskoi rady: Rishennia Zaporizkoi miskoi rady [The charter of the utility enterprise “Tourist Information Center” of Zaporizhzhia City Council] [in Ukrainian].
- Turystychno-informatsiinyi tsentr Chernivetskoi miskoi rady [Tourist Information Center of Chernivtsi City Council] Retrieved from http://chernivtsy.eu/portal/ [in Ukrainian].
- Skutar T. D. (2017) Analiz suchasnoho stanu informatsiinoho zabezpechennia turystychnoi diialnosti v m. Chernivtsiakh [Analysis of the current state of information support of tourist activity in Chernivtsi]. Economy. Management. Innovation. Series: Economic Sciences, 1. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/eui_2017_1_14 [in Ukrainian].
Full Text (.pdf)