Prerequisites for the Introduction of Virtual Currency (Cryptocurrency) Control in Ukraine
Kiev National University of Trade and Economics
Mamonova A. V. (2019). Prerequisites for the introduction of virtual currency (cryptocurrency) control in Ukraine. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 2 (37), рр. 170-175. doi: https://doi.org/10.37405/1729-7206.2019.2(37).170-175
Observing the rapid uptake and active use of virtual currencies that are not found in every country in the world, regulators are asking questions about the ability to control and regulate their operations. Therefore, the article describes approaches to determining the economic nature of virtual currencies and analyzes their legal regulation and transactions with them in the world and in Ukraine. The status and official attitude of the regulatory bodies of different countries, consolidation of legislation and taxation of virtual currencies are reflected. In recent years, there have been significant changes in the attitude of most cryptocurrencies in most of the leading countries of the world, from “illegal payment” to “promising financial instrument”. The increasing interest of government in progressive innovation has led to an increase in the influx of new entrants (both individuals and institutions) who are actively using virtual currencies. Yes, cryptocurrencies have caused a lot of concern about the risks they may bring since the first digital currency, Bitcoin.
Over a period of time, cryptocurrency exchanges have been steadily increasing their interest in underwriting to ensure the secure process of exchanging and buying cryptocurrencies, reducing theft. Virtual currencies contain a large amount of capitalization in terms of fiat currencies, but the disorder and even the unstable state of cryptocurrencies, as well as the lack of historical loss data, complicate the process of controlling their turnover.
However, given the interest, popularity and attention of the media, many, including lawyers, political scientists, economists, are trying to understand the basics of technology and its implications for politicians and other departments. The development of blockchain-based cryptocurrency technology has been introduced in areas that have traditionally been widely regulated, such as capital raising and money transfer. Politicians and other government officials often try to apply laws that have been developed for decades for the latest technology. The US in each state has a different definition and approach to cryptocurrency transactions. A similar situation is observed in the international arena, where some countries have sought to promote the growth of technology and others have sought to remove technology from their jurisdiction.
Therefore, the legal field of law requires in-depth research and analysis on virtual currency transactions, the development and implementation of a new cryptocurrency exchange rate verification mechanism that is similar to those existing for traditional financial processes.
virtual currency (cryptocurrency), government regulation, control of transactions with virtual currencies, regulatory approaches.
- Average number of daily cryptocurrency transactions in 3rd quarter of 2019. 05.09.2019. Statista.com. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/730838/number-of-dailycryptocurrency-transactions-by-type/
- Global cryptoasset regulatory landscape study. [Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance]. 03.04.2018. Jbs.cam. Retrieved from https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/research/centres/alternative-finance/downloads/2019-04-ccaf-global-cryptoasset-regulatory-landscape-study.pdf
- Regulation of Cryptocurrency Around the World. The Library of Congress. Retrieved from https://www.loc.gov/law/help/cryptocurrency/world-survey.php
- Digital Currency. Financial consume agency of Canada. 19 Jan 2018. Retrieved from https://www.canada.ca/en/financialconsumeragency/services/payment/digital-currency.html
- Clare O’Hara, OSC Approves Canada’s First Blockchain Etf, The Globe and Mail. 01.02.2018. Theglobeandmail.com. Retrieved from https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/funds-and-etfs/etfs/osc-approvescanadas-first-blockchainetf/article37828183
- Ley para Regular las Instituciones de Tecnología Financiera [Law to Regulate Financial Technology Companies] arts. 09.03.2018. Diputados.gob.mx. Retrieved from http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio/pdf/LRITF_090318.pdf
- European Supervisory Authorities, WARNING. ESMA, EBA and EIOPA Warn Consumers on the Risks of Virtual Currencies. 12.02.2018. Eba.europa.eu. Retrieved from https://www.eba.europa.eu/documents/10180/2139750/Joint+ESAs+Warning+on+Virtual+Currencies.pdf
- Ordinance No. 2017-1674 of 8 December 2017 Regarding the Use of a Shared Electronic Registration Method for the Representation and Conveyance of Financial Instruments. 08.12.2017. Perma.cc. Retrieved from archived at https://perma.cc/ESA7-89E6
- Franciya planiruet oblozhit’ ICO-proekty nalogami. (2019). [France plans to tax ICO projects]. Retrieved from https://www.segodnya.ua/economics/kriptovalyuta/franciya-planiruet-oblozhit-ico-proekty-nalogami-1189636.html [in Russian].
- Regulation of Cryptocurrency Around the World The Library of Congress. Loc.gov. Retrieved from https://www.loc.gov/law/help/cryptocurrency/world-survey.php
- Konrad Krasuski, Crypto Traders Protest Poland’s Tax Decision, Bloomberg. 09.04.2018. bloomberg.com. Retrieved from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-09/
- Cryptocurrency Regulation in 2018: Where the world stands right now. 01.02.2018. Bitcoinmagazine.com. Retrieved from https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/cryptocurrency-regulation-2018-where-world-stands-right-now/
- Samohods’kij І., SHelest O. (Eds.). (2019). Zelena kniga regulyuvannya rinku kriptovalyut [Green book regulation of the cryptocurrency market]. Retrieved from https://regulation.gov.ua/book/91-zelena-kniga-reguluvanna-rinku-kriptovalut [in Russian].
- V Ukraini proponuiut lehalizuvaty kryptovaliuty vzhe za try roky. Shcho pro tse vidomo [Ukraine is offered to legalize cryptocurrencies in three years. What is known about it]. (2019). Retrieved from https://nv.ua/ukr/ukraine/events/v-ukrajini-proponujutlehalizuvatikriptovaljuti-vzhe-za-tri-roki-shcho-pro-tse-vidomo-2503033.html [in Ukrainian].
- Derevianko zaproponuvav zvilnyty haluz kryptovaliut vid opodatkuvannia na 10 rokiv [Derevyanko proposed to exempt the cryptocurrency industry from taxation for 10 years]. (2019). Retrieved from http://info.rns.org.ua/posts/derevyanko-zaproponuvav-zvlniti-galuz-kriptovalyut/ [in Ukrainian].
- TOP 12 kryptovaliutnykh birzh v 2019 rotsi [TOP 12 cryptocurrency exchanges in 2019]. (2019). Retrieved from https://btc-up.com/top-12-kriptovalyutnyh-birzh-v-2019-roczi/ [in Ukrainian].
- Pravove rehuliuvannia kryptovaliuty [Legal regulation of cryptocurrency]. (2019). Retrieved from https://sbsb.com/publications/article/pravovoe_regulirovanie_kriptovaljuty_v_swa/ [in Ukrainian].
- Litsenziia na kryptovaliuty [License for cryptocurrency]. (2019). Retrieved from http://www.eestifirma.ee/ru/service/licenzija-na-kriptovaljuty/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6cG64tHy3gIVA6maCh0g_QadEAAYAiAAEgJ7_PD_BwE [in Ukrainian].
Full Text (.pdf)