Strategic Benchmarks for Living Standards and Education as a Basis for the Existence of a Middle Class in Ukraine
Doctor of Economic Sciences
Institute of Industrial Economics of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
Kharazishvili, Yu. (2019). Strategic Benchmarks for Living Standards and Education as a Basis for the Existence of a Middle Class in Ukraine. Visnyk economichnoi nauky Ukrainy, 1(36), pp. 155-160.
The conditions of the existence of the middle class, which include a sufficient standard of living, a high level of education and an independent civic position and political activity, according to which the middle class practically does not exist in Ukraine, is analyzed. The study uses the modern concept of sustainable development from the standpoint of security, which is a managerial structure that contains a general system representation of how to move from the current state of the control object to the desired”, and includes the following steps: definition of the structure of sustainable development, definition of the limits of safe existence, identification of sustainable development, definition of imbalances of sustainable development, substantiation of strategic benchmarks for sustainable development, determine the impact of threats and develop institutional measures. The list of indicators of the standard of living and level of education is offered, their thresholds are defined and identification of the standard of living and level of education is determined, which testifies to their critically low level. Of the variety of indicators, there are three distinct types of distribution: normal, Log-normal and exponential, for which the formulas for calculation of the vector of threshold values are deduced. For their calculation, the probability density function is used to determine the statistical characteristics: the mathematical expectation, the mean square deviation and the asymmetry coefficient. For an integral estimation, it is suggested to use the multiplicative form of the integral index, the new modified method of normalization, and the formalized method for calculating dynamic weight coefficients. For the scientific substantiation of the strategic scenarios of the development of the standard of living and the level of education, the method of adaptive regulation from the theory of management is applied. Strategic development scenarios up to 2025 have been developed from the standpoint of security to monitor the proximity of current indicators to the desired values of sustainable development and to assess the effectiveness of macroeconomic policies.
middle class, standard of living, level of education, indicators, thresholds, integral index, strategic scenarios.
- Dennis, Gilbert (1998). The American Class Structure. New York: Wadsworth Publishing.
- Libanova E.M. (2003). Sotsialna stratyfikatsiia ukrainskoho suspilstva: sproba statystychnoho vyznachennia ta vymiriuvannia [The social stratification of Ukrainian society: an attempt of statistic identification and measurement]. Ukr. socіum, 1(2), рр. 146-164 [in Ukrainian].
- Saienko Yu. (2002). Serednii klas u sotsiolohichnykh vymirakh [Middle class in sociological dimensions]. Ukraina-2002. Monitorynh sotsialnykh zmin — Ukraine-2002. Monitoring social change, рр. 60-79. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Hryshchenko K., Rudnytska T. (2002). Serednia mainova verstva yak baza formuvannia serednoho klasu v Ukraini: samoidentyfikatsiini kharakterystyky [The average property level as the basis for the formation of the middle class in Ukraine: self-identification characteristics]. Ukraina-2002. Monitorynh sotsialnykh zmin — Ukraine-2002. Monitoring social change, рр. 46-59. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Zanuda A. (2013). Serednii klas v Ukraini: nechyslennyi i nevplyvovyi [Middle class in Ukraine: small and not influential]. BBC Ukraine, June 5. www.bbc.com. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/entertainment/2013/06/130604_ukraine_middle_class_az/ [in Ukrainian].
- Chorna N. (2017). Serednii klas Ukrainy: vidnovyty vtrachene [Chornaya N. Middle class of Ukraine: to recover lost]. Finanсe.ua. 14.09.2017. Retrieved from https://news.finance.ua/ua/news/-/410426/serednij-klasukrayiny-vidnovyty-vtrachene/ [in Ukrainian].
- Kharazishvili Yu.M. (2014). Metodolohichni pidkhody do otsinky rivnia ekonomichnoi bezpeky derzhavy [Methodological approaches to assessing the level of economic security of the state]. Nauka ta naukoznavstvo — Science and science of science, 4, рр. 44-58 [in Ukrainian].
- Kharazishvili Yu.M., Hrishnova O.A. (2018). Yakist zhyttia v systemi sotsialnoi bezpeky Ukrainy: indykatory, riven, zahrozy [Quality of life in the system of social security in Ukraine: indicators, level, threats]. Ekonomika Ukrainy — Economy of Ukraine, 11-12, рр. 157-171 [in Ukrainian].
- Kharazishvili Yu.M., Liubych O.O. (2006). Systemne modeliuvannia sotsialno-ekonomichnoho rozvytku Ukrainy [System modeling of socio-economic development of Ukraine]. Bankivska sprava — Banking, 3, рр. 46-65 [in Ukrainian].
- Kharazishvili Yu.M. (2019). Systemna bezpeka staloho rozvytku: instrumentarii otsinky, rezervy ta stratehichni stsenarii realizatsii [Systemic Safety of Sustainable Development: Assessment Tool, Reserves and Strategic Implementation Scenarios]. Kyiv, ІІЕ of NAS of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
Full Text (.pdf)